If you like the crunchy and melty cheese on top of pizzas, you will probably love this!
I like chupaquesos. They are tasty cheese creations that are just perfect for the Atkins diet - very low carbohydrate, high protein. However if you are on a low fat diet, just reading this blog post should be enough to make your arteries clang shut. (Just remember a bit of fat is a necessary part of any diet.)
For more on what a chupaqueso is and the ORIGINAL recipe from Howard Tayler, see this website: https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2003-09-06
Here is how I make them:
1) Cut 4-6 slices of cheddar cheese and put them in a hot non-stick frying pan (you need it pretty hot or it will take ages). Obviously 6 slices will make a larger chupaqueso, leaving you more room for fillings.
2) Fry the cheese. First it melts and then it starts going crispy.
3) You can see it going orange around the edges and the bubble holes when it is ready to flip. Now flip it.
4) Flipped chupaqueso. Work fast as it will harden quickly. You may want to pre-cut your fillings.
5) Add a line of fillings - I like using leftover meat or lunchmeat; sour cream, cream cheese, or grated cheese; and a line of sauce. The photo shows silverside, cream cheese, and apricot sauce.
6) Before it hardens, fold the edges over, trapping the fillings in the cheese shell.